Hancock-Hamline University Collaborative Magnet School (say that three times fast) is now just Hamline Elementary as it becomes a strong community school.
Former Principal Craig Anderson invited the whole community to help in the name-change process. Along the way, they discovered the building was slated to be called Hamline while it was being constructed in 1885. But for whatever reason - when the building opened in 1886 - the name Hancock was chosen.
Now, 128 years later the school has a name that matches the neighborhood and its close relationship with Hamline University.